Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The Alms

Brad, David (inset), Judy, Gail, Norma, Brad (again), Becky, Gail (again), Steve

Brad walked in with a small stuffed toy, a horse.  “Ellen made this for me.  When I knew I was meeting you today, I got it out to bring along.”  The Ellen Brad was referring to is Gail’s mother.  Gail remembers helping her mother make these stuffed animals, mainly stuffing them, this one given to Brad probably when he was quite young and his father died.  This particular horse was a patterned corduroy with a large white fluffy mane and tail.

 

We are exhausted this evening as we pull into the campus of the University of Jamestown.  I quipped, “I don’t know why I’m so exhausted this evening.”  

 

“Sure you do,” replied Gail.  “We just spent the afternoon reminiscing and philosophizing non-stop with six exuberant former classmates and neighbors of mine.”

 

The two families of Alm cousins lived about a couple miles from Gail’s family farm.  Today we were at the home of Norma Alm who married Gail’s classmate David Warrey.  Judy is Norma’s sister.  

 

The other family was represented by Steve, Becky and Brad.  They have one other sister Nancy who is in Oregon visiting her daughter, her husband and their son.  Both parents work at WOU.

 

Norma and David served coffee and lemonade, and banana bread, nuts, fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies and a coffee cake made just for us from a recipe given to them by Ellen.

 

Get the picture?  There was a lot to talk about regarding the mixing and mingling of stories.  Becky commented once that I looked a bit glazed over with all the stories with which I had no connection.  Actually I loved them especially at the end of the visit when Becky said I get the award for patiently listening.

 

David did show me his collection of sports and military memorabilia and other antique collectibles.  As I stepped into the room I was completely reminded of the collection of sports memorabilia that Al Kvidt has that we saw last week.

 

In contrast to so many previous days, the sun is bright and warm and the wind is almost calm.  It’s a fantastic evening as we drift off to sleep.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment